Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Heavenly Blue

I’ve been holding on for way too long,
Onto something that should never have been mine.
I keep singing all those cheesy songs,
Wishing I could steal you out of my mind.

I tried to say no, said I couldn’t take it anymore,
Wishing you were with me every night.
But you came right back, though I threw you out the door,
I was blinded by you; loving you gave me sight.

Just a whiff of your scent left me craving for the rest,
But even that was enough to have me wrapped around your finger.
And now that you’re gone, I still think it’s just a test,
Your memories will always linger.

These feelings are real; they have to be, I know it,
Why else would this hurt so much?
My heart feels like it’s been thrown into a fiery pit,
For, my soul, you had managed to touch.

It’s been a while since we’ve spoken, or seen each other face to face,
But I guess I can’t blame you for the things that happened.
Though, I still long for your warm embrace,
That lit up my world when it was blackened.

You had to leave, even as you promised to stay,
And I’m not going to hold that against you.
But just know that I’ll never forget that day,
When I look up at you, and see your smile in the heavenly blue.

jenny downing | Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment